Our electronic voting processes contain 4 central moments:
- Constitution of the Electoral Commission
- Generation of Cryptographic Keys
- Voter registration and voting process
- Counting and publication of results
1. CONSTITUTION OF THE ELECTORAL COMMISSION
The Electoral Commission is the counterpart of EVoting during the entire process and is responsible for coordinating and executing the voting, ensuring its neutrality and normal development, and making decisions about it:
- It validates the voting agreements, such as the electoral roll, ballots, authentication modes and start and end times.
- Participates in and supervises the cryptographic key generation ceremony and receives the video of the ceremony in the case that it is remote and recorded.
- Decides on aspects of the process during voting, such as incorporating or disabling people on the voter list.
- Resolves inquiries or complaints from voters that go beyond the action of the Help Desk.
- Participates in and supervises the counting ceremony and receives the final report and record of the ceremony.
2. CRYPTOGRAPHIC KEY GENERATION CEREMONY
This ceremony is public and takes place in the presence of the members of the Electoral Commission. An EVoting professional creates the public key, which encrypts, and the private key, which decrypts. If the ceremony is remote, it is taped as a formal record of the ceremony. The private key is divided into several parts, depending on the number of members of the Commission.
The President of the Commission begins the ceremony, the EVoting manager presents the vote, the ballot and the bulletin showing the participation in real time during the voting process.
3. VOTER REGISTRATION AND VOTING PROCESS
EVoting receives the electoral roll from the client, with the voters' information and their associated data. It reviews, corrects and updates it, with the authorization of the Electoral Commission.
The final list must be approved exclusively by the Electoral Commission
4. CLOSING OF THE VOTE, SCRUTINY AND PUBLICATION OF THE RESULTS
The scrutiny in the EVoting electronic voting system is public and is carried out in the presence of the members of the Electoral Commission and those persons invited by the Commission. If conducted remotely, the ceremony will be filmed and the record sent to the Electoral Commission as a backup.
At the agreed time, the voting system closes, preventing the entry of additional votes, and the counting process begins. The EVoting manager introduces the voting and explains the process step by step.
He then loads the cryptographic keys, one by one, to decrypt the result -the equivalent of the "opening of the ballot box"- without decrypting the individual votes.
As a transparency measure, the results are projected on a table on the voting page, and can be viewed on the voting website by the Election Commission and any voter.
Finally, the end time of the ceremony is indicated and the Commission is informed that it will receive the list of voters and non-voters and the results of the voting, which will also be published on the website.